In this forum, we will learn about 11 Plus English Syllabus. The 11 plus English paper is designed to test your child’s knowledge in various subject areas. The 11+ English paper consists of four sections; comprehension, spelling, capital letter/punctuation, and grammar.
The comprehension section consists of twenty-five multiple-choice questions regarding the extract, while the spelling, capital letter/punctuation, and grammar sections are smaller, with around six to ten questions.
The English paper will test your child on their ability to read and understand a given text. They will also be asked to apply their knowledge of 11+ vocabulary and 11+ SPaG (Spelling, Punctuation, and Grammar).
The different topics covered in the 11 Plus English Syllabus are detailed below.
|Comprehension||Identify and gather information from the text|
Understanding literary technique
Summarise sections of the passage
Explain the meaning of high-level Vocabulary
|Vocabulary||Synonyms and Antonyms|
Latin and Greek Root Words
Main and Subordinate Clauses
Verbs (Modal, Verb Agreement)
Recommended 11+ English Books
- Bond 11+ English Assessment Papers
- New 11+ GL English Complete Revision
- 11+ CEM 10-Minute Tests: Comprehension
- Start Preparing for 11+ Exam in Year 3
- Creative Writing in Year 3 – Best Tips to Prepare for 11+ Exam
- Word Problems in 11 Plus Exam – Understanding Word Problems
- Home Studying for 11 Plus Exam in Year 4
- 11 Plus Final Year Preparation for CEM (Slough Consortium)
- Interview for Independent Schools – Frequently Asked Questions